Monday, October 23, 2006

Stuck in the sleeping kid vortex

I love to get out of the house to do stuff with my toddler. Before baby brother was born it wasn't uncommon for the two of us to bolt out the door by 9:30 for swimming, the library, the park, a walk in the woods....Wherever. Adding baby brother to the family has changed the going places dynamic in many ways.

First off, there is no bolting anywhere. We are suddenly like a slow moving infantry. Try as I may, we get no where quickly. By the time we are all ready I am sure to encounter a blow out diaper, a milk cup that needs refilling...is then spilled, is now me mopping the floor...now baby needs to be nursed, and its 40 minutes before baby needs to be napping again.

Secondly, My sweet boy is very different from his big sister. Big sister was happy to nap anywhere that involved being asleep on me. The upside to this was that I wasn't really slowed down by new motherhood. I went to the mall, I went out in the evening, I met up with friends for coffee. She only slept on me wherever we were, so as long as I was there we could be anywhere. But this also meant she always had to sleep on me.

Baby boy wants no piece of it. Sleep happens in his bed, period. If by some freak accident he falls asleep in the car or in a baby carrier, that is quickly ended by big sister yelling BABY WAAAAAAAAAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, lots of good points with a baby who wants his bed. I get to stretch out at night and I don't wake up with baby feet not so gently kicking my face. However, we never seem to get out of the house. When we do get out we are sure to be running into a meal or a nap.

I have to say, I am happy to give it all up for the naps. I just need to shake up my mama game with the 2 year old so that we can have more fun at home.

No comments: