Wednesday, May 16, 2007

frustration

You know, I really want to write a really eloquent piece about the sorry state of childcare in America. I am too tired, frustrated and angry, so I will just vent.

At my massage gig there is short term childcare available. Part of me practicing where I work is that my children can play while I am giving massages. The longest they are ever there is 3 hours at a time, and that is not often. I guess I just assumed that people working there really like kids and are happy to be there. It turns out I have made all kinds of assumptions that 'made and ass out of you and me' so to speak.

Its a million little paper cuts. That is pretty much the only way I can describe the situation. There are lots of things from childcare to many other concerns but I will stick to the two most recent problems with the baby room.

I have had to explain, multiple times that Scooby-Do is not appropriate for my children to watch. My child has said out loud to the care provider in front of me that ITS TOO SCARY to then be told that it would be turned off if it 'got too scary'. HELLOOOO that is what the child just SAID.
After this happened and it had been the fourth time I had spoken to the person who works that day, I went up a level. I was told I should 'remind them each time'. I know she only sees me and my kid once a week, but I know I do not need 4 reminders about something like that. Especially when a child is standing in front of me telling me they are frightened.

I have happily packed sippy cups of rice milk or water for my kids. I have packed along things for them to eat each and every time I have gone there with my children. After several days of diarrhea from my diva child I inquired, with the not yet 3 year old, if she had shared any snacks with any other kids while at mommy's work. My child listed off a bunch of snacks she happily has shared with her friends. Except my child has a dairy allergy. I was under the, apparently misguided, impression that kids would eat what their mommies packed and that the adult there would supervise that.

Diva child has had a very very upset belly for a week now. 3-4 bad messy diapers a day and a flaming red tiny hiney to match.

Today when I very very nicely explained that my kids were only to share with each other the snacks I had provided due to allergies.....and could you, dear grown-up please help diva child with that, she turned to my child and said "No stealing snacks today diva child"....

Yeah....because not yet three year olds should be held responsible when left in the care of paid adults who are supposed to care for them and protect them.

I'm completely livid. I am trying to stay as calm and level headed as possible. I would flip out and go out in a flash of flames right this minute if I felt that I could. My kids are not being harmed in a way that will scar them for life. The snack sharing has stopped and I am formulating my exit plan. I have not yet decided what I am going to say when I go, but I am pretty sure I am going to outline the 'concerns' I have about their 'childcare'. If I felt I could energize the place and work to make it better I would in a heartbeat. The problem is, my small and valid requests are greeted with internal eye rolling....you know, they aren't actually rolling their eyes, but you feel them go as soon as your back is turned. I am the 'high maintenance mom who thinks she is so much better than all of us'. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am really nice, but I do take issue with lazy 'childcare'. I am direct, I tell them what I need, and I have never asked for anything special or outside of the range of normal. I am punctual to pick up my kids. My kids are really sweet, gentle, and well behaved.

I am so angry that I have now resorted to complaining about my job on the Internet. Openly, boldly, and without apology.

Seriously, I almost hope someone reads it. Guess what? I'm gonna quit as soon as I possibly can...like next week maybe when I figure out how I can tweak my budget to make it work.

Can a blog post be considered 'giving notice?'

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it can if you print and send it...

HomeGrownLife said...

Rice milk and water? You mean you don't want your 1 and 2-year olds sipping out of other kids' Hi-C juice boxes and eating their cream-filled rinky dinks? I am laughing out loud right now because I can very much relate to being the "high maintenance" mother when it comes to food issues. Poor little hiney!!!

Life As I Know It said...

Yeah, I'd be livid too. I'd be mad about the tv, but even more upsetting is the fact that your daughter has allergies and is eating things she shouldn't be eating! Um, yeah, I think the caregiver might want to take some responsibility for that.

Yikes! I feel for ya'. We've been through our share of bad daycare situations.

Hope things get resolved...one way or another!