Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Birthday




Sweet Man Puppy,


You are a delight to your mama's heart. I am so happy you are mine. I could not have wished for such a perfect fit in our family. Your impish and lovey personality endear you to me every day.


At this time, one year ago, you and I were in hard labor together. It was long road getting to that day, but on May 11, 2006 it was finally time. My whole pregnancy was so different from my first. In my labor with you, I stayed focused on you, sweet boy. I talked to you, I rocked with you, I had the hardest contractions that I had ever experienced with you. Our labor was hard...very hard. I know it was hard on you too, neither of us got much of a break, and we did most of the work without the benefit of your bag of waters.


To be honest, a lot of it is a blur. We both gave it our best....we rested and gave it lots of time. In the end you made your grand debut at 6:33 pm via c-section. As we were going in for surgery I boldly proclaimed that you would weigh 9lbs 5oz. I guessed higher than anyone and I was only off by 2 oz. You weighed 9lbs 3 oz and were beautiful. You were so big and little all at once. You were never alone...my beloved midwife went right to you, then your daddy scooped you up to bring to me. I kissed your sweet face and couldn't wait to hold you!


In recovery I got to really lay eyes on you. You looked just like my side of the family, even from those first moments. You have only grown to look like me and my brother more and more each day. Your experienced mama knew how to nurse this time, and thankfully, so did you.


I delight in your very physical experience of life. As I write you are dancing around the room and now climbing on a rocking chair. The day you figured out how to roll over (at less than 3 months) started a non stop flurry of movement and activity.


Your relaxed personality is a gift to your high strung mama. You are not a fussy child and are easily pleased. Thank you. I have no idea where this quality has come from, but it is a gift to us all. I will do my best to not drive you insane with my high maintenance self. I'll work on dad and your diva sister as well.


I love you Man Puppy! Happy First Birthday!


Love,

Mama


ps thank you so much for saying mama first. I won't forget it. It will probably get you some leniency you don't deserve when you are 16.

5 comments:

HomeGrownLife said...

What a blessing you are to your mommy and your whole family. I was just thinking of you this morning! Happy 1st Birthday little "man puppy". You are adorable...

NotSoSage said...

Aw, this was so touching.

Happy birthday to your sweet little man.

Unknown said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! We love you so!

Lindy said...

So very sweet. Happy Birthday!!!

Life As I Know It said...

Ah, what a wonderful post. Beautifully said.
Happy Birthday to your little man!