Tuesday, March 04, 2008

shhhhhhhhh.

Silence.


I have come to realize that I do not have enough silence in my life. As a busy mama it's a small wonder that I even got to the place to contemplate the absence of silence in my life. Between all the 'Maaaaaama's" and the chatter of two small talkative children I have realized that I desperately need some silence built into my life.

All of my life I have thought that I was an extrovert....or on the extroverted side. I adore people and I really enjoy engaging with people one on one, but I am flat out exhausted by prolonged contact in a group setting. After some reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I am, indeed, introverted...just a verbal one. Additionally, I have to create the space for silence to fill my home.

I am intentionally just trying to be still during the kids' nap time. I am backing off of reading at my favorite message board, I am limiting my phone time, and turning off the TV. I want the peace and wisdom of a mystic. That probably won't happen to the droning sounds of Max & Ruby...

4 comments:

Stacey said...

hmmm. what an interesting thing- a verbal introvert. i can see it. i am right there with you on being still and quiet during the kids' naptime. i've recently gotten into mindfulness meditation, and while it's incredibly challenging for me, i really like it. i'm finding lots of personal growth there.

HomeGrownLife said...

Did we share a brain this week? This seems to be the verdict on my personality as well. I never appreciated the stillness of homelife before. Now, I crave it.

lemonsong said...

I've figured out in the last few years that I'm the same way. I think it's more common than we allow ourselves to believe. Enjoy your silence. I hope you can get the resounding 'Maaaaaaax' out of your head. LOL

Anonymous said...

(great big bear hugs) Silence can be golden. I hope you find the quiet and solace you are looking for. I am bookmarking your blog though so I can still say hi. :)

Kari