Monday, February 26, 2007

I am not sure that my eyes can roll enough

So I don't generally look to MySpace to tell me what is moral and upstanding these days. In fact, the only reason I have a MySpace page at all is that my very cool and hip younger brother shamed me into creating one by making me feel insufferably boring and old. I have enjoyed finding friends from abroad, high school and college...not wandering too far off the path of 'my friends' as to not stumble into some sordid mess created by a teenage girl or something.

That being said, apparently breastfeeding mothers are the new 'bad girls' of My Space. That's right everyone. No matter all the half dressed drunken pics of 17 year olds. I'm sure I could find 100 pictures of nearly naked women (sans babies) in less that 5 minutes if I were trying. The pictures of mama's nursing their babes is so offensive that they are being removed by My Space.

Yaaaawn. How boring. I get that breastfeeding isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. That's fine. It's the stupid Internet everyone...if you don't like the picture try not clicking on it. I'm trying to picture exactly who it is that has a sudden *gasp* the horror breastfeeding!! My Eyes MY EYYYYYYYES! I just never expected to be offended at My Space!! (he/she swoons and collapses to the floor under the musty weight of their velvet Victorian era robes...)
Actually it's probably more along the lines of someone prowling around looking for something more sexxy, less maternal, and is mad that the baby was blocking the boob shot.

This is the thing that baffles me most. How is it that a site that has been repeatedly landblasted for allowing provocative sites of underage girls to be public is now so suddenly upstanding and moral that they must protect us from a picture of a breastfeeding child because it is just so 'offensive'? Seriously? They don't take a stand when it comes to the safety of young girls but they are 'cracking down' on those whorin breastfeeders?

I don't actually look to My Space to keep children or adults safe. Parents and adults should be responsible enough to police their own usage of My Space. Why on earth does My Space pick breastfeeding of all things to get all prim and proper on us? They seriously have no idea who they are messing with. 'Lactivists' as they are called take breastfeeding very, very seriously. A petition against My Space has already been organized. They are the kind of folk who go to places filled with prudish non breastfeeding people and whip out what God gave em to nurse their 6 year olds because they can. The only way My Space could have made this worse for themselves is if they simultaneously pissed off the 'intactavists' or those who are against routine infant circumcision.

I'm all about breastfeeding babies and not chopping body parts off at birth. I don't know that my My Space page adequately reflects that, nor do I really feel the need for my 6th grade boyfriend to know how I feel about all things related to my parenting. There is a rebellious piece of me that wonders if I should edit my page just 'cause...

4 comments:

Jeni said...

really? bad girls?

consider me the baddddddest.

Unknown said...

amen and please, please conduct research. Post breastfeeding picture of yourself on your page and tell us all how long it takes for them to find it....
then post it again....and again. I feel we need more data on this topic - use your my space page for good;let your inner lactivist out!

Mama Sarita said...

Well....my 'my space' page has a big ol breastfeeding picture as my default along with several other pictures...and snotty comments I added like "oh no, not that icky breastfeeding again!!"

We shall see how long they last.

Idiots.

Heather said...

oh just so well said!

keep those photos going!