Thursday, February 08, 2007

meme

Little known Oddities about me:

6. My closest brush with Richard Simons happened when I was riding a Greyhound bus through Manhattan. I heard giggling from the front of the bus and as the bus pulled forward I looked out the window and realized I was eye to eye with a manic Richard Simons who was dancing on top of a DOT truck in a sparkly tank top and appallingly short shorts.. That may have been one of the most surreal sober moments of my life.

5. I attract the oddest ducks when out and about. (see number 6.) Just the other day I was in some big box hardware store with my family and ended up helplessly entangled in the strangest conversation about bird seed that one could have with a stranger. It moved on to her encouraging me to buy some $900 grill for the super bowl and a little vignette about her pastor's love of BBQ and football. Who knows this much about a stranger after 2 minutes?

4. I have the hardest time figuring out where my body is in the space it inhabits. We just got a bowflex machine handed down to us and I totally think I am doing it right and my husband has informed me I am no where near right. He shows me how to do it, then I do it, and he tells me that it isn't even remotely the same thing at all.

3. I love to dance. I love it so very much. However, given number 4 it is very questionable in my mind as to how 'good' I am at dancing. The good news for everyone is that I am aware of my shortcomings and will not be selling stuff on eBay to run off and audition for 'So You Think You Can Dance'. I do 'think' I can dance but am painfully aware that there are many of us with these same thoughts.

2. I adore playing piano. When I was a teenager I would play for hours at a time on a Saturday afternoon. It was soul feeding for me in a way that nothing else ever has been. I am far out of practice and it makes me sad. I know that I could and should create the space for me to pursue this again. I will eventually, but at the stage of mama-ing I am presently engaged in, it would be more of a frustration than soul feeding.

1. The last little known thing about me that I will share today is that I am mean mean mean in the middle of the night. My husband is most aware of this personality quirk/flaw that is a part of me. I take comfort in the reality that I have had near torture levels of sleep deprivation the last several months. I think any kind hearted person would eventually crumble. That being said, I am starting to hear my husband say things that he hasn't said and would never say to me. For example, last night he said "how can I help you?" when the baby boy was especially crabby and fussy due to teething. What I heard him say was "You never try hard enough". Needless to say, I completely flipped out on my poor unsuspecting husband. At least I had the wherewithal to to say WHAT did you SAY TO ME??!! At which point he repeated himself and I said... oh, sorry that's not what I thought you said.
It looks like the most insecure places of my psyche are coming to the surface in the middle of the night.

4 comments:

Heather said...

#5 I can relate to attracting odd ducks. Once when I was in college I met an 80 year old man at the park. We chatted for a while. The discussion ended abruptly when he kissed my hand and invite me back to his place.

Unknown said...

Fun list Sarah - #6 never knew you had an up close and personal with Richard Simmons... #5 I'm proud to be one of the least odd ducks in your collection (and if I am you'll have to blog about that in HBM's Basement.), #1 He'd never be so foolish....

julie said...

look at you all fancy with your blog-self! you are prolific girl!!!

Mama Sarita said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! It is nice to know someone reads this other than myself!

Karen....You are no where near strange enough to be one of my 'odd ducks'....however they do say 'birds of a feather, stick together'.