Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Small Luxuries

Everywhere out side of New England, road weary travelers pull up to the Starbucks drive-thru in a harried and distracted way; one of many stops along their way as they move through the day.



When I saw the Drive-Thru sign I practically squealed the breaks as I abruptly changed direction to recaffinate.



Now, I do realize that this is shallow. I realize that it makes me look like a lazy person to be that excited about getting my hot cup of goodness without ever leaving my car. As it all turns out it is a royal pain in the ass to drag two little children into the local coffee shop or Starbucks. While I am trying to order I have to keep their hands out of displays, ward off the demands for cookies and treats, then feel guilty that I am getting something but am saying no to the GIANT cookie for the kids, balance my scalding hot coffee while holding two squiggley hands of kids that want to hurl themselves in front of the slow moving mini vans of the other distracted mommies trying to get through stopping off for coffee. So, because of this scene I often drive right on past Starbucks thinking about how nice a Grande Americano with Soy would be and then move along to the next thing on my mental list.



My heart may have skipped a beat when I saw the drive-thru. At age 30, a mother of two children, the feeling that was once reserved for spotting the hot guy across the student court yard is now relegated to a Starbucks drive-thru. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry....I pick being really happy to have a steaming Grande Americano with Soy in the comfort of my mommy car without ever leaving it.

It's the simple things that can make my day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL at this post. I can relate. While I'm a coffee drinker, I certainly know how tough it is to drag little kids into places. When I scoped out our local library, I had to first ENSURE it had a drive through drop off point for books or I wasn't gonna "play". When it did, I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Also, your post about warding off little hands reminded me of how I went to a bead shop with my kids last week. Oh geez, Kaia's hands were in every single little bucket and compartment of tiny beads. Yikes!
Anyways, drive on to your hearts content with your comfort coffee. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

oops, meant to write "While I'm NOT a coffee drinker" above...
xoxo

the holly said...

oh yeah - i'd shop for groceries via a drive-thu if it were possible! altho after being with the two at camp alll summer i'm a tad, and i mean a tad, more confident than i was before at tackling shopping. clothes shopping is just absolutely NO FUN with kiddos. thank god there are plenty of other things that are, even if they don't include spending money with corporate giants. :)