Thursday, March 22, 2007

My baby's almost birthday

All month long I have been thinking of this day a bit. Tonight I was snuggled up with my baby big boy (who is walking now, by the way...) and I thought about how I curled myself around him in an uncomfortable hospital bed praying, crying, and praying some more.

I was 33 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I had thought that maybe my water had broken a few days earlier. I was keeping tabs on that and decided that it hadn't. I had my mom watch my little daughter so I could go to my midwifery appointment. I was pretty sure she was going to want to do a cervical check and I didn't want my 22 month old to be climbing all over me during that.

On my way to the appointment I was having contractions. I tend to have lots of contractions from week 30 on, but they were more than the '4 an hour' that the doctors caution against. When my midwife examined me she was very concerned and thought my water had broken. I will never forget the feeling of fear that engulfed me as I lay on my back, helpless and vulnerable, with my feet in the air. I started to sob and insisted that this wasn't happening and that my boy, who had yet to be named, was not coming tonight.

My midwife walked me across the street to the hospital and I was given a stack of paperwork to fill out. Who would be joining me in Labor and Delivery? I was snotty and pushed the papers back.

"Why do I need to fill this out? I am not having a baby today!" I could hear my midwife quietly talking to a L & D nurse. "Hey, I came over here to have more tests done to see what the status of my amniotic sac is, not to have a baby today!"

I flip through the papers : Do you give this hospital permission to treat your child? I burst into tears. "I am NOT having a baby right now, my husband isn't even here!"


They walk me out of faker labor and delivery, called 'triage' . I would become well acquainted with 'triage' during my 11 days of prodromal labor that were yet to come. I was practically on a first name basis with the residents and nurses by the time by babes actual birthday came!

I was ushered into a labor room and given a gigantic gown to put on. Muttering to myself that this is total bullshit and that I needed to get home to put my first baby to bed, I put on the gown. In walks an intern and a L & D nurse and the conversation starts like this:

"Hi, I am Dr. bla bla bla I see that you had a C-Section with your last baby, is that your plan for today?"

"I am totally NOT HAVING A BABY TODAY, AND IF I WERE IT WOULD BE A VBAC!!"

I totally lost it. For about the 30th time in an hour I explained the story.

I was walking around a store 3 days ago. I felt a big gush. I thought, Oh my god, did my water just break? I went to the bathroom. I went home and I rested. I made sure that I wasn't leaking any fluid. I made sure my bladder was empty. The baby is moving great, I feel great, I'm not leaking. Big misunderstanding....last time I bring anything up again. I'm a Birth Doula for crying out loud....I think I would know if my water was broken!

Next thing you know, I am hooked up to a monitor having contractions every 2 minutes. Now, I wasn't feeling them. I was sufficiently freaked out by being in the hospital all alone without my family. I all but abandoned my daughter whom I had never left for more than an hour or two. I didn't tell her I was going to be gone. I didn't tell her I wasn't coming back before bed. This was total crap. I knew the never-leaving-my-firstborn-child-ever thing was going to be changing with the birth of my second child. However, it didn't change the fact that, up until this point, I had not felt the need to leave her, and now I had to in the interest of baby number 2.

I called my husband. I told him to go home, get our girly dinner and to bed and to send my mom. When our girly was asleep he could trade off and come to me and bring me home. I told him that this was a huge over reaction and that, at worst, I would be out of there by morning after a bag of fluids and monitoring.

In walks my midwife. No, you are not going anywhere. In fact I want you to have steroid shots to rapidly mature your baby's lungs. Your son is going to be born sooner rather than later. We are sending people from the NICU to come and talk to you about his probable stay. We are going to try and stop your labor long enough for the steroids to work. But after your second shot we will let your labor begin.

NO NO NO I am NOT having a baby. I am not even feeling these contractions. I had an ultrasound and my levels of fluid were within the range of normal for my baby's gestational age.

I was beyond pissed. I was beyond scared. I was being treated like a person who is crazy and using denial to get through it all. I was told that I wasn't going anywhere and that I would be in the hospital, on bed rest, until the birth of my son.

I was given the most HORRID drug to stop my contractions. It was all the drunk and none of the fun. It blurred my vision and slurred my speech, but spared my mind. I lost muscle control and couldn't lift my arms or legs....they felt like they belonged to someone else. I had to be catheterized. I was burning hot and thirsty, but I couldn't drink much water because the water could flood my lungs and give me pneumonia. A nurse came and moved me around and gave me ice and cold cloths to keep me as comfortable as possible.

My husband came for a little while, and then I sent him home so that my daughter could have things be normal for as long as possible.

I was trying to imagine my world where my 'baby' girl at home who had really never been away from me could be without me for days to weeks. Who would take care of her? I'm a stay at home mom and my husband only has so much time off....time we were intentionally saving so we could 'babymoon' at home as a family.

I was being told that I would have a baby in the NICU. How would I be with my new son and pump breast milk and be mommy to my little girl at home? I would have to adjust my whole life and what I believed to be best for everyone to what was being thrown at me, against my will. I didn't want my baby to be far from me, I didn't even want him circumcised...how would I deal with watching him being poked and prodded and kept in a little plastic crib far from his mama??? All of these things swirled around my brain all night. Everyone tried to encourage me that his chances were really, really, good. The survival rates for 33 weekers were really great. Holy shit...they are talking to me about survival rates?!! He would have only a few weeks in the NICU. He would be fine long term. No big deal, right? I guess not if you work in labor and delivery and this is what you deal with every day...but this is my baby...my son.

My sobbing came in waves. All I really wanted was a normal pregnancy and birth. Now I would give all of it, in a heartbeat to keep my sweet boy inside. I talked to him. My husband and I named him that night. I couldn't bear the possibility of him being born and taken from me without a name.

I prayed and prayed. I had a sense of peace in the middle of it....it would be completely unraveled in a moment, and then it would come back. I just wanted my boy to be okay. I was mad at God and told him so. But I also cried out to him. I figure God is big enough to handle my anger and love in the same moment.

The next day I was the medical anomaly of the floor. The question of the day: Is Sarah's water actually broken? How can we know? There was a resident who thought this was total bullshit right along with me. I think I love him still to this day. He was the one who pushed for more testing. I was still on the stop-the-labor-drugs that made me feel really bad while everyone did their rounds and discussed my 'case'.

My mom and dad came...my husband came...my doula came. People came to stay with me. At one point everyone had left the room except my doula. All of a sudden I felt a massive wave of nausea hit me and then I felt myself start to go unconscious. I felt myself try to press the nurse call button and I heard myself say 'turn it off..the drugs turn it off' and then I passed out.

I was metabolizing the drugs at a very rapid rate. Because of this, my blood pressure dropped to 80/20. This was not good. I had been nagging them to turn down/off the meds for hours. Luckily, my doula had been in the room with me when I passed out and got the nurses in immediately. They stopped the meds. My wonderful nurse told me that I could eat once they stopped the meds. I must have been a very sad patient because I had captured the sympathy of all the floor nurses. She brought in a tray of food and promised to get the resident so I could inhale the food as soon as he gave the all clear.

So, to recap: we started off a normal prenatal visit, turned 'be admitted for some tests', turned did you want another c-section? turned the NICU is coming to talk to you about your eminent birth and baby's hospital stay, turned you will at least be here on bed rest the remainder of your pregnancy, turned maybe you are right and you can go home soon.

After all of that, my water seemed fine. Now, we will never know if it had a leak which resealed (that is something that is fairly common), or if everyone was in overreaction mode. Either way, I was elated that things were fine. A hospital Salisbury steak has never tasted so damn good. Yes, I relished every.last.bite. of a crappy hospital meal. It may have been gourmet meal as far as I was concerned. I was that hungry, tired, and grateful.

When the OB from my practice came around to talk to me and my husband I talked her into releasing me that night. They had wanted to keep me one more night and day. I promised to rest and stop seeing massage clients. All I wanted was my bed, my house, a shower, my jammies, and to hug by little girl. I was sent home on Friday night. Here is where a picture is worth a thousand words. I had my husband snap this photo of me in my bedraggled glory because the moment needed some sort of documentation:

I love the look of exhaustion coupled with 'what the hell just happened to me here?'

I will never forget the fragility and relief I felt that whole weekend. I was also quite angry about my blood pressure drop. I just kept thinking They could have killed me, for no reason at all...we almost died.

I just wanted to lay in bed with my husband as he held me and whispered to me that we are all okay. We had pancakes on Saturday morning and just lazed around the house together. It took a lot for me to move forward and forgive the over reaction of the midwife and the hospital staff. I tried to believe that maybe it had been a miracle that my water had broken and resealed. I still don't really know what to make of it all. All I know is that I am sitting here with big boy on my lap while he sucks his thumb and snuggles me. I'm really glad that we are just here and fine and healthy.




1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow Sarah,

Thank you for sharing this story. What a traumatic thing to go through. I am so very, very glad that you and your baby boy are healthy and hanging out with your little girl now.