Thursday, March 29, 2007

a day in the life...

It has been a month around here. I have been caring for sick kids, been sick myself, tried to unsuccessfully reign in the house after a few illnesses...you know, the hell ones home spirals down into when you just stop doing laundry or dishes.

We are back on the virus train again. Poor baby boy is so miserable. As far as sickness goes, it's just a nasty head cold. But there is something so sad about a bubbly baby turned lethargic with swollen gunky eyes, flaming pink cheeks and a rattle cough.

Additionally, we have been wading through sleep challenges with our baby boy. No big surprise because every time I am ready to shake things up, he is, alas, sick again! We have taken to sleeping on the living room floor. At first I thought it was sad and pathetic, but it is like having a hotel room suite to myself. No slinking into the bedroom for fear of waking the baby. No anxiety as I feel myself getting tired. In fact, baby boy only has woken up 2 times the last 2 nights of this experiment! That is a VAST improvement from the 4-8 times of night waking that has driven me to the limits of human sleep deprivation.

But, scourges of illness and night waking aside both kids always keep me laughing.

Today my little girl gave me a hysterical run down of her day at drop off play group. This conversation being the gem of it all:

Me: So, what did you do today?

diva child: Simone had a ring that her daddy give her and I wanna play with it but she said no and I sad and her sad too.

Me: Really? Well, it was her ring.

diva child: mommy her have a pink ring...her daddy buy it for her. I want my daddy to buy me a purple ring. I gonna call him and tell him that.

Me: Laughing. . . we can do that!

Hours later...I am on the phone talking to a friend

Diva child: Mooomy!!? Is that Daddy?!! Tell him I want him to buy me a purple ring!!!

Me: I'm not talking to Daddy, we will tell him about the ring later.

As little sicky boy hasn't left my arms all day, the afternoon escaped us and we soon heard 'big daddy' coming up the steps.

Diva child: Daddy! Daddy! Do you have my purple ring?!! My Purple Ring!!!!

Big Daddy has no idea what she is talking about and the diva child promptly dissolves in a puddle of tears as if her betrothed had forgotten to show up on the wedding day.

So, what's a big daddy to do? Once our girly settled down she was able to explain it all. My sweet tender husband will do anything to make the tears of a girl stop. He ran out to run some errands with her and managed to pick out the perfect plastic ring for his diva child.

On one had I fear indulging an immediate 'want' to have the thing that another child has. On the other hand, it was so clear that she wanted her daddy to give her a ring. Why that turned both my husband and I into a bunch of saps is still unclear to me. I think it was the trusting expectation that she expressed. She *knew* her daddy would give her the desire of her heart.

My sweet big daddy husband, being the egalitarian daddy that he is, had to buy something for little sicky too. Not that he noticed...but it was sweet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hope your hotel room has room service!

Heather said...

Cute story about the girl. :-)

Sounds like the "hotel" plan is working even when baby boy is sick! Maybe you'll get even MORE sleep when he's over this cold! Imagine...more sleep...ahhhhh....

Honeybell said...

As the "lone vagina in a house full of penises" I am so envious of the sweet "Daddy/daughter" moments!

Love your blog!