Friday, March 09, 2007

Tagged! Why I blog?

Many thanks to bubandpie for the tag !!

Five Reasons Why I blog...

1) Cause all the cool girls are doing it....

Well, my very first post (which was really a non post) basically was me admitting that since everyone else is doing it, why not me? Apparently, I really will jump off of a building if someone was doing it. Once I started lurking around the blogosphere, I really did wonder why not me? I love reading all kinds of blogs and thought I would throw my stream of consciousness musings out there to see if anyone else would read them.

2) I blog for my own enjoyment.

It is so fun to go from blog to blog through the various links. I really enjoy the whole 'mommy blog' genre. I like to read lots of other blogs as well, but the mommy ones are striking the strongest chord in me as it is most applicable to my life.
It has been a great creative outlet for me as well to write about the various things swirling around my head.

3) I like the connections I am making

Not 'connections' as in: let's do lunch and talk about the book deal (ha ha ha). I like how something as simple as a blog entry can bring a lot of random people together to read and comment. I like following witty comments to more witty blogs so that my afternoon flies away from me.

4) I like the sense of community

It is wonderful to read honest posts about people's lives. It feels more authentic than grocery store chit chat with my actual neighbors. Maybe this is a sad reason to blog. Maybe I need to talk to more flesh and blood people in my daily life. When was the last time you bumped into someone you kind of know and they were transparent and open while you drank a coffee? It rarely happens to me because, quite frankly, it would break a lot of social rules. People don't bare their souls in the line at Starbucks very often. I can hop on the Internet and get some really heartfelt reading done while I drink my coffee. It feels more authentic than a lot of my actual interactions on a daily basis. Maybe this reason makes me a little pathetic.

5) I like people to read my writing.

I started a blog a few years ago and felt very uncomfortable. I didn't really like that anyone could read what I was writing about. I stopped and gave some thought to what I wanted to 'put out there' and how it might feel. Even when I first started this on a whim I stopped for several months because I just wasn't sure I liked it. Now, I want the comments. I want people to read what I write. Mainly because it is fun. I'm not an expert on anything, but I have ideas I love to throw out into the universe. It is nice when it rings true for someone else.

And hey....I know my aunt and uncle are reading this (hi there...I'm waving at you!). I'm waiting for you two , (Especially you Uncle Tom) to get blogging and commenting yourselves!! I am outing you as lurkers! Consider yourselves tagged as well!

Now I tag Domestic Slacktress, Heather, and Karen. Why are you cool girls blogging?

5 comments:

Beck said...

It's funny how revelatory doing this meme was for me! Up until I wrote it, I had no real idea why I blogged - and now I'm seeing everyone else's answers and it's such a great feeling of community.

Heather said...

I love that everyone seems to come back to this idea of community. Honestly the other moms on my block here are lovely and nice, but I resound more deeply with a lot of the bloggers out here in cyberspace. We western moms are often too isolated. It's great to have a points of connection. I finished my meme even though I'm on vacation from blogging this week (lol). I guess it's one of the few sanity producing things I can actually accomplish these days.

Bea said...

Did you read Mimi's response to my tag? You're not the only one who finds that blogs offer more intimacy, in a sense, than what is possible at a play-date or coffee-date.

Mama Sarita said...

Bub and Pie....Once I finished up writing this I was cracking up at how much mimi and my responses were alike...of course her's much more articulate than mine!

beck, I had a hard time with this at first because I too, had no idea why I blog. It really does boil down to community.

Heather...I totally hear you. It's not just the western moms. I really think our culture becomes more and more superficial the busier we all become, or are expected to become.

I always feel like Im the mom who has devulged too much info at the play date. Im really cool like that.

Unknown said...

it turns out, I'm in complete agreement with Beck. I never thought of it til now...as I mentioned once tagged (thanks!)...also so funny to think of it now when some very famous bloggers (bub and pie, gingajoy, her bad mother) seem to be do real actual research, which I find to be completely fascinating and awesome and I will admire from my non-academic perch. Sarah, you know you are resonating with me girlfriend. I'm still sorta trying to figure our why no one can bare their souls at starbucks, as you say, I mean, really why? I confess, it make me a little sad.